Port-of-Entry Review

This is Austin.

He carefully inspects everything that comes into the household--sort of like those canaries they keep in the bottom of mining shafts.

The amaryllis, he says, could be dangerous.

* * *

I don't know who was more appalled by the scope of my shopping trips this past weekend--him or me. Leaving the checkout line at one of my many stops, I noticed that my receipt said I'd bought 60 items. (I ended up with a fistful of receipts. I shudder to think what the total number of items added up to over the course of the weekend!)

But such a huge influx of STUFF was enough to make me toss and turn Sunday night. As I was laying there in the dark, I tried to name / list the 60. I made it to fifty-something. To defend myself, this was a trip to one of those 10-acre box stores, so my haul was partly made up of recurring grocery items--cottage cheese, Canola oil, 2 jars of spaghetti sauce, a bunch of bananas, a green pepper, etc.--but still-- 60 things! Including the miraculous budding amaryllis in red foil. Austin said it could stay, though he's keeping a close eye on it just in case.

Comments

Popular Posts