Beetle plague continues!

The plague of tiny beetles continues.  They are still everywhere.  They can fly.  They can do astounding death drops from a wall they have been walking up--and apparently live to tell about it.

Just throwing a few basic keywords into a search engine, I found this:  One Hundred Common Bugs of New Mexico.
https://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/CR570.pdf

*Order Hemiptera: True Bugs. Metamorphosis simple. Mouthparts
sucking. Forewings divided into leathery and membranous halves
(Hemi=half,-ptera=wing). Wings held flat over body when at rest. Tarsi
with three or fewer segments.

I go back to my close-up photos.  Okay.  Three sets of legs.  Wings.  Antennae.  I guess I'd better go back to the start of the document and brush up on the vocabulary for basic bug parts. I get out a ruler and measure one of the carcasses on the inside of the window ledge in my office.  6mm.  So they vary from 5-10mm, roughly.

This looks like the right ballpark:


Or maybe a real beetle? 

Comments

Popular Posts